Friday, May 11, 2012

What I learned

I felt I learned a lot this semester. One of favorite lessons this semester learning how to listen. I did not know that listening was a 10 part skills. I never really thought of listening as a skill but it makes perfect sense because in order to communicate and receive information we must listen. One thing that stood out for me in this lesson was using to listening to judge for content and not delivery and listen for ideas. I found this important because sometimes I do judge on the message is delivered and not the content. More so, it's important to listen to ideas because ideas can be cursors to conversations. Another thing that I found interesting is that language is ruled bound. The way we communication is outlined by nonverbal cues or invisible rules. For example, no saying FIRE in a movie theater or talking  over your teacher in a class. This class taught me so much on how to use language and communication to change the world. I am so grateful I took this class because I am a journalism major it is very important in my medium to communicate to an audience. So taking this class helped me expand my communication vernacular and use the tool of communication to make an impact in someone's life.
-Sir Keithington 

1 comment:

  1. Listening as a skill was an interesting thing to read about. I feel like we are always taught to learn how to present well in a class so that others will listen, but we are never taught to listen to a teacher. I think that we should actually have a college class on both. Presenting and being able to communicate ideas is very important, because sometimes people are not very good at communicating their idea or concept. I think that being able to listen is also important as well, just because someone doesn't sound great or has a monotone voice doesn't mean that what they say is important. This class was interesting and was my first online class!

    ReplyDelete