Friday, February 10, 2012

Attachment Styles

I am going to talk about attachment styles because I feel it's important in the world of communication. Attachment styles affect the way we communicate and how we approach a relationship. Let's get started.

Secure Attachment Style: In this style people are secure within their selves and is able to place trust in a lot of people. It is the most desirable and positive attachment styles of the other 3 styles. According to the Wood (2007) "People with secure attachment styles tend to be outgoing, affectionate and able to handle the challenges and disappointments of close relationships without losing self-esteem," (p. 46).

Fearful Attachment Style: In this style people feel insecure about themselves and think they are unworthy of love. Additionally, they feel people are not as loving as they say to be. They feel that people will reject their love so that's why they are afraid to attempt a relationship. A great example can be a girl who is wall flower at a dance and wants to dance with the boy she likes but she fear she will be rejected and that the people around her will make fun of her. So that's fearful attachment style.

Dismissive Attachment Style: In this style people have a positive outlook of themselves but are distrust of people who they feel is unworthy of their love. The put people on a high pedestal and must live up to their relationship standards in order for the relationship to grow. An example can be a child of divorced parent who is unwary about their parent's new partner. They may not like their parent's new partner and may push them to fight his/her love. So dismissive style is positive yet unwary of individuals coming into their lives.

Anxious/Ambivalent Attachment Style: In this style people are considered preoccupied. They view relationships as a good or bad thing. To elaborate they think people are loving and caring but people can also be mean and hurtful. So in this type of style people get both sides for coin when it comes to establishing and developing a relationship. This is because as a child the person was treated inconsistely. Sometimes their parent loved them and sometimes they did not. So that's all the attachment styles.
-Sir Keithington

1 comment:

  1. When I read about these types of attachment styles, I thought they totally made sense. I think that I am the Secure attachment style. My parents were very loving and always made me feel that I was loveable as a child. The reasons that lead me to believe that I have a Secure attachment style are that I am outgoing and when something goes wrong I just keep on going and don’t let it get to me. I thought it was very interesting that people can change their attachment styles later on in life based on the relationships they choose. This is important because it means that we can have more control over our attachment styles than we might think at first.

    ReplyDelete