Wednesday, February 29, 2012

NonListening

I never knew that there were so many listening types. I think the most common listening that I participate in is literal listening, defensive listening and monopolizing. I live a very busy life so I am always go and want people to communicate information to me both quickly and understandably. I am guilty of participating in literal listening because I am person that likes stuff to be explained in detail so I'll grasp the concept. So every time when a teacher is assigning a assignment I always ask them to repeat it and explain it to me. Additionally, I participate in defensive listening. I am not to fond of criticism and I feel when I get criticized people are always attacking. So I just tune the person out. Moreover, I participate in monopolizing listening because I like having several conversations at time. I am such a busy person so have many conversations at one time and listening to them help me multitask. I think to overcome my literal listening I just have to take it one step at time and pay attention to the directions closely when the teacher talks about it. In addition, to overcome defensive listening I have to say to myself that it's constructive feedback and not criticism. Then to cure my monopolizing listening patterns I must have each conversation one at time so I wont get lost in the noise.

1 comment:

  1. Aye breh, what it do homeboi, its your boy carlton here for his second post of the week. This blog you masterfully created was rather interesting. I actually just made my blog on this topic just a few seconds ago, so i see some parallel ideas between your ideas and mine. It is pretty much knowledge that i already had, i just never had terms to define it. Regardless we are now that much smarter!!! Hooray. I thougt your blog was well written and great ideas came from it. 100 words yet?...not yet. Okay so i really enjoyed your blog post. Keep up the wonderful work and i will check in with you in a future blog post. Stay Safe My Brotha!

    Reppin Bel Air Since '91

    ReplyDelete