Friday, February 17, 2012

Hate Speech

According to the Free Speech Museum hate speech is considered speech that is racist or anti-Semitic particularly in the United States. I think at hate speech is speech that is negative and tries to bring people down or harm them. Everyone engages in hate speech there is just different levels of hate. For example, I could say I don't like vegetables because they are green or someone can say I don't like the school because of my professor. In the United States we draw attention to hate speech when it is not socially acceptable. For example, it can be a person calling the President a terrorist. There are ways to sue for hate speech when it's considered libel. Libel is defined as defamation of person's identity or character. For hate speech to be classified libel it has to cause some effect on the person, be published to a 3rd party and be false. For example, calling a coworker a slut at my job which results in her being fired could be considered libel. Because I called her a bad name at work the boss fired her so she can sue for libel if that makes sense. I think we should not censor hate speech because everyone is entitled to their first amendments right and we choose to use it or abuse it. It will violate are first amendment rights to censor hate speech because it is protected under the 1st amendment. The only way I see to reduce hate speech is to have an educated conversation about the issues facing our society. Debate is very good for our society it just have be done respectfully and intelligently.
-Sir Keithington

2 comments:

  1. Very nice examples there. I like it. So in a sense, its like making rumors or gossip about a specific someone you want to get rid of and so you start spreading them like that. Almost reminds me of several tv shows that has the sort of people that has the skill to make up rumors on the spot. And I sort of disagree that we shouldn't censor it but I also want to stick to the amendments as well. The idea of having educated conversations sounds good and hopefully would work. The question will it be effective as we think it will be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. I do think everyone hates at some point. A lot of it goes unnoticed. It is disturbing to me that people are so good at lying and creating rumors. It also kills me, that people are so comfortable with making others feel terrible. I do not know a way to kill this as a whole but, I think educating people would be a good start. Young people would be an even better start. If the youth had an understanding and a real feeling for the effects it has on others, I believe this would all eventually come to a stop.

    ReplyDelete