Friday, March 23, 2012

Defenses of Communication


A situation in which I felt disconfirmed and defensive is when I contributed ideas to spruce up our newscasts. I though my ideas were valid and substantial but it seem to me that people did not care. People did not acknowledge my ideas and felt hurt because I thought I was trying to help the newscast and take to a different level. I can identify two of Gibb's defensive-producing communication, which is superiority and control. Since I suggested the idea to the show producer to do "how to" stories to add to the newscast he was very hesitant and really did not like the idea and flexed his superiority. The show producer said it adds nothing to the newscast  and that it's not relevant to the show. At the moment I just felt my idea was completed ignored and did not give me chance to test out my idea and see how it works on the newscast. Another defense used was control. According to Wood (2011) "a common instance of controlling communication is a person's insistence that her or his solution or preference should prevail," (p. 209). The producer just suggested that we should keep doing the newscast how we are doing them and just add more live shows and reporters introducing their stories. He did not even consider my ideas and just asserted his idea into the show. 
-Sir Keithington 

No comments:

Post a Comment